Friday, February 12, 2010

Valentine Cupcakes OR Strawberry Muffins

I discovered this recipe one year when I went strawberry picking and ended up with 10 lbs or more strawberries. I got home and hulled and sliced them all...and wasn't sure what to do with them. I found this and it is delicious. I have since altered quite a bit, but the original recipe will be linked so you can see what it looks like. I was attempting pink muffins for v-day and I knew I didn't have any red food coloring as I used it in Red Velvet Cookies. They are not quite as pink as I would like, but the pink buttercream frosting will help!

Valentine Cupcakes-
adapted from All Recipes

2 cups of fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced
1.5 cups flour
1.5 cups + 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
1.5 scant cup of sugar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
4 eggs, beaten(i used 1 cup of egg substitute)
1 1/4 cups chopped pecans(optional)

Place strawberries in bowl and lightly sprinkle with a little sugar. Combine flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and sugar. Blend in oil, eggs, and applesauce. Add in strawberries and stir. Stir in pecans. Divide into muffin tins and bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 mins or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Kid Help: measure/pour/mix, line muffin tins, help slice strawberries using strawberry slicer, or they may just jump on the back of the couch and watch YOU do it all!.


**this can also be made into 2 bread loafs and allow them to cook for 45-50 mins. I have also made it in a bundt pan as I do not own 2 bread pans.


While these are great on their own, I have some leftover buttercream frosting that I will have to use up. So I took 1 cup of frozen strawberries and thaw them. Sprinkle 1 tsp of powdered sugar on them and then mash/blend them to make juicy. I will then add it to the frosting for a nice pink tint and frost away! While this has the option to be successful, I'm not convince that it is. The strawberries made the frosting very "soupy". I still topped them and stuck them back in the fridge. I think I like them best plain...but not everything in my kitchen can be successful! But perhaps you will have better luck! It could also be that I've cut out a lot of sugar so maybe the frosting is just to sweet for me and I LOVE frosting!

**I have been trying to take pictures of food and well I need more practice. I will post pictures if I am able too. Sometimes having a kid helper I can't get good shots!

No comments:

Post a Comment