Thursday, May 20, 2010

Baked Potato Soup

Well my father in law was coming over for dinner and it was rainy and cool out so a soup sounded great! Originally it was going to be Ham and Bean Chowder, except I didn't know it had beans...which I didn't have. I knew I had a bunch of potatoes to use up and everything else on hand, so baked potato soup it is!

Baked Potato Soup-adapted from Taste of Home
2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup flour
salt and pepper(although I tend to omit the salt)
2 cups chopped ham(or 1/2 lb bacon, cooked/crumbed/drained)
6 potatoes, baked, cubed
1 cup shredded cheese, plus more for garnish
1 cup sour cream
2 tbsp dry chives
3 cups chicken broth
3 cups milk

Melt butter in large saucepan. Add in flour, salt, and pepper. Whisk together. Cook for 1-2 mins until bubbly. Slowly add in milk/broth. Heat until boiling and thickened. Add in potatoes(I leave the skins on for texture, but you can remove them). Mash with a potato masher not completely but enough to thicken the soup, I leave some nice chunks. Stir in cheese, sour cream, and chives. Stir until cheese is melted, add in bacon/ham. Serve topped with cheese and bacon.

**This is the third or fourth time I made this recipe. K and I thought it was the best one I've yet to make. I had a beautiful white sauce, I only wish I could get it that way for mac and cheese. While I was making it, it reminded me of clam chowder and I would have made that if I had the ingredients on hand! I did ask K whether he preferred it with bacon or ham and he said they were both good and he would never turn down bacon...

No comments:

Post a Comment