Sunday, October 16, 2011

Nutmeg Ginger Apple Snaps

 (picture courtesy of Vancouver Observer)
I was looking for unique cookies to send to the church bake sale and also needed a way to use up some apples!

Nutmeg Ginger Apple Snaps-shared from Vancouver Observer
2 cups unsalted butter, softened
2 tbsp molasses
5 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pinch ground cloves
1 tsp grated nutmeg
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
3 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
4 cups flour(I used white whole wheat)
2 tsp cornstarch
pinch of salt
4 apples
1/2 cup coarse

Preheat oven to 325.

Cream butter until it's light colored and easily forms peaks. Add the molasses, sugars, spices, grated ginger, and vanilla, whip until fully blended.

Sift the flour, cornstarch, and salt together. Add to the butter mixture in 3 batches, on low speed until fully blended.

Roll dough into 2-3 tbsp size ball and flatten them on parchment lined cookie sheets.(I used a small glass, dipped in sugar) Slice apple thinly and place on top of the cookie, sprinkle with coarse sugar to cover apple. Bake for 12-15 mins until golden brown.

**The cookies were nice and crispy and flavorful. The ginger was almost to potent for me, but it was very ginger snap like. The dough was very dry and I'm thinking it was because I used white whole wheat flour, but the dryness did work with the cookie, they just were not easy to roll. The boys liked them...just not the apple part on top, but they were eating the apple chips I made!

6 comments:

  1. oh my goodness! We've been looking for a truly different fall recipe to try -- this might be it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they were definitely different which is why i liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cookies look so good! I especially like the apple slice on top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love ginger - these sound delicious! And I'm sure my kids wouldn't eat the apple on top either, even though they love apples!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BAMYLISS Pro Titanium - titsanium-arts
    The BAMYLISS Pro Titanium is a lighter version head titanium tennis racket of the samsung titanium watch Triton gold core that is manufactured citizen titanium dive watch by Triton Labs ceramic or titanium flat iron to produce more mens titanium wedding rings graphite and platinum.

    ReplyDelete