Friday, November 4, 2011

Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil Review

Coconut oil has recently become VERY popular especially in the whole food blogging world! It has many beneficial health benefits and is a "healthier" fat to consume. Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil from Tropical Tradtions is the brand that I started with. I know there are many brands and kinds out there, but this seems to be one of the best, it's smooth and tastes great!

I first started using this actually on my son's diaper rash instead of traditional diaper creams as he was wearing cloth diapers at the time and this is safe for use on them. It cleared up beautifully...

I knew I could also cook or bake with it. But I'll be honest it took me a while to actually take that first step and try it out! But I'm learning still and finding all kinds of new things to make with it!

One night I decided to "fry" our homemade tater tots in it...it did have a slightly coconut taste to them, which did work, but not sure I will fry with it again unless it's for a sweet dish vs. a savory one.

I recently tried an AMAZING granola recipe...which called for canola oil. I instead decided to melt coconut oil and use that instead. It was the best granola we have ever had tasted. Much better than store bought. The coconut oil added that slight hint of coconut flavor and it wasn't over powering. This is the only granola recipe I make...and I only use coconut oil in it!

This past week, I decided to try it in baking. I have yet to be brave enough to try it, and I also wanted to make sure I was feeding it to people who liked coconut. I used my brownie recipe and used half coconut oil and half butter. No one could tell that I had used coconut oil in it, although I could. They knew something was different about it, but couldn't pin point it. The flavor was very subtle. The next day, I found the coconut flavor to be a bit more prominent, but the brownies still tasted delicious. I didn't mind the chocolate coconut flavor, but I know some people don't. The battle was still perfect and they baked up beautifully!

There are lots of ways and recipes to use coconut oil and there are lots of ideas found on Tropical Traditions website!

To read more about the great benefits of using and cooking with coconut oil be sure to check out Tropical Tradtions website as they have TONS of information on it! From how it is made and where it comes from!

**Disclaimer:I was contacted by Tropical Traditions and received a jar of their virgin coconut oil to review

No comments:

Post a Comment