Monday, July 26, 2010

Homemade Rice Pilaf

I decided to give my mom back her FOUR Taste of Home cookbooks I had since oh I think Christmas...but before I did I went through and wrote down all the recipes I wanted to try as I knew I could get them online. I am already off the menu for the week, but it was stuff I had on hand so it still worked well. I have also been looking to find a good pilaf recipe as I love the "boxed" stuff.

This was served with grilled chicken and grilled rainbow carrots. If you haven't tried them and you see them, give them a try! They are delicious! Ok now on to the recipe....

Homemade Rice Pilaf-shared from Taste of Home
1 cup brown rice
1/2 cup thin egg noodles or broken vermicelli
1/4 cup butter
2 tsp minced garlic
2 bouillon cubes
2 3/4 cup water
parsley

Melt butter in large sauce pan. Add in rice and broken noodles, saute and stir until golden brown. Add in water, garlic, and bouillon cubes. Bring to a boil and stir. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes until rice is cooked and broth is absorbed. Stir in parsley and serve.

**I know this might not be a low sodium side dish...I am not even sure if the seasoning was low sodium but it did not taste salty at all. I think this needed a bit more liquid as I used the brown rice, so if anyone knows how much I should use for next time let me know. It still tasted great, there was a bit of a bit still with the rice but you really couldn't tell. K really liked this and said it was better than "the box", so it will be made again! I will also probably cut the butter down next time...I even think that it called for 1/2 cup butter and that is a lot of butter!

1 comment:

  1. what favor bouillon cubes did you use? you could probably substitute broth for the cubes and the water and get the same effect with less sodium

    ReplyDelete