Wednesday, May 18, 2011

2 Quiches-one meat, one meat freer!

Not sure if you have ever gone out to eat on Mother's day, but it's usually crazy busy! So we opted to stay home and have our friends over instead! I had the meat quiche on the menu for this week, but our friends are meat freers...no big deal as quiche is easy to adapt to vegetarian. So I made one of each!

I'm not usually a quiche fan, but this one sounded really good and I'm always looking for new ways to use Italian Sausage.

Italian Sausage, Tomato, and Cheddar Quiche-Woman's Day Magazine
1 pie crust
6 oz italian sausage(I used 3 links, 2 sweet, 1 hot),casings removed
1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 onion, chopped
4 eggs
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven 425 degrees.
Place pie crust in pie plate and bake for 12-15 mins until golden brown. Remove from the oven and drop temperature down to 375.

Place sausages in pan and brown, breaking up meat as you go. Add onion and cook about 5 mins. Remove from pan and drain.

In a large bowl mix together eggs, sour cream, and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Fold in sausage/onion, cheese, and tomatoes. Bake for 35-45 until knife inserted into middle comes out clean.

**This was pretty good, at first it wasn't cooked long enough as I don't have 2 pie plates so this was thicker than a regular pie would be. But after cooking for another 15 mins or so, it was finally done. I did notice it was a bit wetter, but I think this was from the tomatoes, so the crust wasn't as crispy as I would like. But those of us who ate it all enjoyed it...although we liked the flavor of the vegetarian one better. So next time I'll add in a bit of shredded parmesan cheese to this one as well!

Vegetarian Quiche-my own creation, using the base of the above recipe!

This quiche you can use anything you would like to go in it! Broccoli, spinach, peppers, onions, zucchini, etc. 

Base of above recipe(eggs, sour cream, milk, and cheese)
leftover steak fries, chopped
1 jar roasted red peppers, chopped, drained well
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese

Directions, see above! Just put in the potatoes, parm cheese, and peppers in place of the sauage/tomatoes!

**We all LOVED this one! Even my husband who is usually against anything vegetarian(although he will eat it) liked it better than the sausage one! He is a huge sausage fan, so this was a surprise for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment