Sunday, March 14, 2010

Pie Crust

I've never made a pie crust...other than for a dessert that was graham cracker or oatmeal crust. Last week I was looking for suggestions on what to make my in-laws for dinner and someone suggested chicken pot pie. Well then I got a huge craving for it, so I'm making it for dinner tomorrow night. I wanted to try my hand at a crust, my grandmother always said she wasn't good at it, so I never tried it. Thanks to Hallee, I did it, its not pretty, but hopefully it will taste good!

Pie Crust- shared from Hallee the Homemaker
*This is for a 2 crust pie
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup+2 tbsp shortening
4-6 tbsp COLD water

Sift together flour and salt. Cut in shortening with a pastry cutter or fork until small peas form(they just look like peas). Slowly add in 1 tbsp of water and lightly stir until a ball forms, the dough should not feel wet.

Separate dough into 2 balls, lightly flatten out on lightly floured surface, flip so that both sides are floured. Carefully roll dough out into 11 inch circle, or rectangle in my case. Do not roll too much or start over, you want to handle this the least amount of time as possible as this makes the dough light and flaky. Fold in half and in half again. Transfer triangle to pan and unfold. Continue with second ball. Make sure you vent the top of the pie, I used a star cookie cutter, but you can also poke it with a fork.

For a baked crust, once dough is in pie plate, crimp sides, poke with fork, and bake at 475 for 8-10 mins until lightly brown. Then fill.

For one pie crust:
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup+1 tbsp shortening
2-3 tbsp COLD water

**It actually was not as hard as I expected it to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment