Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sweet Bean Burritos

I am always on the look out for vegetarian dishes. I watch a little boy on Wednesday and Fridays and he is vegetarian and I get sick of always just feeding him the same thing of either grilled cheese, quesadillas, or pasta. It is also lent so I book marked this one to try and I'm in love with sweet potatoes lately!

Sweet Bean Burritos-adapted from Newlyweds
2 cups cheese(i used colby Jack)
12 flour or whole wheat tortillas(I used flatout bread so I only made 5)

Bean Mixture:
2 cans black beans, rinsed drained(I used 2 cups of cooked dry beans)
1 onion, chopped or sliced
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
3 tbsp soy sauce
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup water
1 tbsp olive oil

Coat pan in oil and saute onions and garlic until tender. Add in water and beans and cook until heated through. Add in spices and soy sauce. Simmer for about 15 mins until sauce thickens.

Potato Mixture:
3-4 sweet potatoes, baked*
1-2 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, minced
1/4 cup cilantro, minced(i omitted this)

Once potatoes are done, scoop out insides and place in bowl, mash. Add in cilantro and peppers and stir.

Spread sweet potato mixture on tortilla. Place black bean mix on top and sprinkle on some cheese. Roll up and place in casserole dish(I used a 9X13). Continue until all the filling is gone. Sprinkle top of  burritos with more cheese and bake for 15 mins at 350.

*I only had 1 and 1/2 sweet potatoes as I used up 1 1/2 for some sweet potato fries. I wasn't thinking that I needed that much sweet potato, so I had some butternut squash cubes in the freezer so I quickly roasted those and mashed them in with the sweet potatoes.

**This was good...except it was very spicy to K and I. A took one bite, looked at me, and declared it was too spicy. I did only use 1 chipotle, but I had extra sauce so that could have attributed to it.I did not taste the squash at all...and I'm not usually a fan of it! Oh and pretend there is a beautiful picture of a nice burrito, in all the chaos I forgot to take a picture of the final burrito!

No comments:

Post a Comment