Saturday, March 6, 2010

Homemade Chicken Stock

I never used to be a fan of cooking a whole chicken...no idea why. But now I am a pro at cooking one! I either roast the chicken in the oven or in the crock pot, but to get your full money's worth make sure you also make stock! It is so easy especially with a slow cooker!

Homemade Chicken Stock
5.5-6 qt slow cooker
1 chicken carcass
1 onion, cut in half(or skins or pieces of onion leftovers)
1 carrot, cut in half
1 celery stalk, cut in half

Toss everything into the slow cooker and cover with water. Set on low for 8-10 hours. I tend to do this overnight so I wake up to a lovely smell in the morning!

I've been saving all my vegetable scraps to make veggie stock, so I took some scraps of onion out of there. So I know have about 10 qts of broth to do something with, it does freeze well, I just have no freezer space at the moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment