Sunday, March 28, 2010

Broccoli Cheese Rice

I used to love those packets of rice and powder that would make a cheesy broccoli side dish...until you read the ingredients and the sodium content. So I've been searching around for a recipe and wasn't finding much that didn't include a can of cream soup, I didn't want the cream soup, just something simple to go with dinner. Luckily I finally found one and it was pretty good, kinda tastes like the packaged stuff even smelled like it, but the sodium content was much lower!

Broccoli Cheese Rice- adapted from Allrecipes.com
2 cups of instant brown rice
2 cups of broth(I used chicken)
1 head of broccoli, coarsely chopped
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Bring broth to a boil. Add in broccoli and cook for 5 mins, add in rice and bring back to a boil. Turn heat off, cover until rice is cooked through. Add in cheese and stir until cheese is melted, you may have to turn the heat back on.

*You can easily do this with long grain rice. Just use the broth in place of the water and cook the rice before you add the broccoli in and let the steam cook the broccoli.

**This was quite simple to make, I would have liked my broccoli a little less done, but that was due to my timing. I was also cooking the kabobs at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment