Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Granola Bars

I've been wanting to try a granola bar recipe for a while now and finally got around to making it. I found another recipe that used sweetened condensed milk, but can't remember where I saw it, if you've seen it I would love if you shared it with me!! In the meantime, this one was delicious!

Granola Bars-shared from For the Love of Cooking
4 cups old fashioned oatmeal
1 cup sliced(or chopped) almonds
1 cup coconut
2/3 cups honey
1/2 scant cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Combine oats, almonds, and coconut into preheated 350 degree oven for 10 mins, stirring after 5 mins. Lower oven temp to 300 degrees. Meanwhile in a medium saucepan(or microwave safe bowl) combine sugar, honey, vanilla, butter, and salt. Heat until sugar is dissolved.

Grease a 9x13 pan. Pour oat mixture into a bowl and add in sugar mixture, stir to combine. Add in chips and stir. Press into pan and cook for 20-25 mins. Cool completely, cut, and wrap individually and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

**These were awesome! Next time I will try to cut the sugar down and substitute applesauce. My bars came out a little thinner but they are still delicious. I also used the vanilla flavored almonds.

No comments:

Post a Comment