Thursday, March 4, 2010

Homemade Crescent Rolls

I love crescent rolls and anything you can do with them...pigs in blankets, turnovers, breakfast casseroles, etc. I will usually buy them for holidays for the rolls, although this year I made homemade yeast rolls, well now I will be sure to use this recipe! This is not the first recipe I went too...the first one I need mashed potato flakes, well I do not have those, the second one I looked at I had before over the summer(so I know they are good) but I was missing half the recipe, but then I remembered seeing them on a blog I follow!*I need to take a picture of the completed crescents!

Homemade Crescent Rolls-adapted from Money Saving Mom
9 cups of flour(i used unbleached, all purpose, and whole wheat)
1 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup agave nectar(or 1 cup sugar)
1 2/3 cup warm milk(or 2 cups if using sugar)
2 tsp salt
2 heaping tbsp yeast
1/3 cup warm water
6 eggs

Combine yeast and water, let sit in large bowl. Add in 4 cups of flour, salt, eggs, nectar, milk, and butter. Stir. Slowly add in the remaining flour until a soft dough forms. Dump onto floured surface and lightly need. Transfer to greased bowl, cover, and let rise for 1-3 hours or until doubled.

Punch dough out and divide into 7 sections. Roll each section into 1/4 of an inch thick circle. Cut into triangle pieces. Starting with fat end, roll towards point. Place point side down on cookie sheet, cover, and let rise 20-30 mins or until doubled. Place in 350 oven until golden brown about 8-10 mins. This will make approximately 32 rolls(or 4 cans) depending on the side of the rolls.




**You can also freeze the rolls before the second rise. Just roll, place, on sheet, and freeze. Once frozen place in bag. I also have just the dough freezing because occasionally I find a recipe that needs the dough in a square or rectangle. Take rolls out of the freezer and let thaw/rise for 5 hrs or until doubled

These are FABULOUS!! They melt in your mouth. I used them in a sausage and cheese turnover for dinner tonight and the combination was wonderful. Recipe to follow. I would recommend mixing these in a kitchenaid mixer if you have one, it is a stiff dough and definitely needed some elbow grease!

3 comments:

  1. These sound so good..I may have to try these..thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question: I read this 3 times to make sure I wasn't missing it, lol...approximately how many rolls will this make. Are we talking the equivalent to 1 can of rolls or 5 cans or what?

    thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terra-in the original recipe it makes approx 32 rolls, depending on size. so that's what 4 cans i think?

    ReplyDelete