Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Vegetarian Tortilla Soup

We had friends over this weekend for some gingerbread house and cookie decorating. They are vegetarian so I thought this soup would be perfect! I did adapt it to the slow cooker which made it that much easier!

Vegetarain Tortilla Soup-Let's Dish
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 qt veg. broth
1-28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1-14 oz can diced tomatoes with gr. chilis
2-4 cups black/white beans
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 pkg frozen corn
hot sauce to taste
2-3 tbsp lime juice(which I forgot)
salt and pepper to taste
4 corn tortillas, cut into strips

Place all ingredients in slow cooker except lime juice and tortillas. Stir well and turn on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours. Ten minutes before serving stir in tortilla strips and replace cover. Add in lime juice right before serving.

**This was a little spicy, but not over powering. It had lots of flavor so everyone liked it, even K didn't miss the meat!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Heather,

    I linked to this recipe on AllFreeSlowCookerRecipes.com, as well as a few other recipes from your site. I found your your blog on the FoodieBlogRoll. I would like to talk with you about linking to your recipes in the future.

    Thanks!

    Blair, editor for AllFreeSlowCookerRecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to try your vegetarian tortilla soup! I was curious when you list 2-4 cups of black/white beans are these cooked or raw? or does it matter?!
    Clearly I've never made this so I just want to make sure I've got the right ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are cooked beans...you can used canned beans or dried ones you have already cooked!

      Delete
  3. Hello,

    How many people does this serve?

    ReplyDelete