Saturday, January 1, 2011

Artisan Bread

While I was reading this week's Menu Plans for various blogs I follow, I stumbled upon this bread recipe! I am also looking for new bread recipes and willing to try them. I haven't found "the one" yet, but I think this one change my mind!

Now this bread has a story to it, and you can read more by following the link before on Snowhite's blog. This bread dough is made ahead of time and then can be kept for up to 14 days in the fridge, but I made the whole thing tonight for dinner. But if you don't use it all in one sitting, you can have fresh bread everyday with VERY little effort!

Artisan Bread-Finding Joy in my Kitchen
1 1/2 cups warm water(about 100 degrees)
3/4 tbsp yeast
1/2 tbsp salt
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 3/4 cup white flour

Place water in a big bowl/container that has a cover.(I used my big tupperware bowl, at least 4 liters) Add in the yeast and salt and let it dissolve. Add in flour and stir with wooden spoon or spatula.The dough is very wet.(if you need to use your hands, make sure you oil it or wet it). *No need to knead it! Cover dough, but do not seal container and let sit on your counter for 2-4 hours. The dough is ready for the fridge when a)the dough has fallen in on itself or b) it is flat at the top(so its no longer dome shape). Place in fridge for up to 14 days.

You will need to the dough out of the fridge 1 hour before ready to bake.
When ready to bake, sprinkle some flour on dough and tear a piece off depending on how big you want the loaf. DO NOT KNEAD IT! Place on cookie sheet and shape into a round loaf and let rise for 30 mins. After 15 mins preheat the oven to 450 degrees. After 30ish mins for rise time, cut an x in the top of the loaf. Fill a pan with 1 cup hot water and place it under the rack where the bread will be baked. Place loaf in oven and close door quickly.(The steams helps give the bread the crusty interior). Bake for 25-30 mins. The loaf will be hard and brown when done.

**I despite thinking I put too much yeast it, it still worked and it was THE BEST BREAD! IT was supposed to make 2 loaves, but I only made one. It didn't rise as high as the original recipe, but that could have been because it wasn't warm enough, didn't rise long enough, or too much yeast. There is only a 1/4 of it left to say the least! Next time I think I might add in some cheese, but it is a super simple recipe and if you make a batch(or double it) you'd be good with dough for a while. It was crusty on the outside and chewy delicious on the inside!

3 comments:

  1. going to try this one this weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you had a lovely Christmas! Happy New Years! Here's to a fabulous new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Happy 2011!

    ReplyDelete