Saturday, January 15, 2011

Creamy Brown and Wild Rice Turkey Soup

I made homemade turkey stock yesterday and from then on all I wanted was some soup...but I know K is getting souped out. Although, I'm not sure why, but today I wasn't feeling well so I made this soup for lunch as I had most of the ingredients on hand and if K doesn't want any...well that is fine too!

Creamy Brown and Wild Rice Turkey Soup-adapted from What's Megan Making?
1 onion diced
1 cup carrots, sliced
1/4 cup butter
1/2-3/4 cup flour
1.5 cups chopped turkey
2 pkg brown and wild rice with veggies(bird's eye steamfresh)
6 cups turkey broth
2 cups milk
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp salt(only if you use homemade stock, otherwise adjust to taste)
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp dried parsley
*this also called for diced celery and mushrooms, which i didn't have but you can add

Melt butter in a large stock pot. Add in carrots and onion. Cook for about 5-8 mins. Stir in 1/2 cup flour and let cook for about 1-2 mins. Slowly stir in broth, and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for about 8 mins. Add in spices, turkey, and rice mix and stir until heated through. Add in milk.(I also whisked in 1/4 cup more flour into the milk to help thicken it more) Simmer for another 10 mins or so.

**This soup smelled AMAZING while it was cooking. It tasted AMAZING as well! It was pretty quick and simple to make as the rice was already frozen and pretty much ready to go! This is perfect for a cold snowy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment