Thursday, January 27, 2011

Italian Sausage Lasagna Calzones and Pizza Dough

I am always in search of the perfect pizza dough. I decided to adapt the one from my bread machine book the other night and it came out perfect for this calzone recipe!

Pizza Dough(this makes 2 lbs)
1 cup+6 tbsp warm water
3 tbsp olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups ap flour
2 tsp yeast
2 tsp vital wheat gluten

Place ingredients in bread machine according to manufacter's directions. Press dough button. Once dough is complete. Remove dough, cut into pieces and roll out to 1/4 inch thickness.(I made 6 calzones the first time and 11 the next night, so it will depend on how big you want them to be.)

**This dough is perfect! Its light and fluffy on the inside but had a nice crust as well.

Italian Sausage Lasagna Filling-adapted from Picky Palate
4 sausage links(I used 2 sweet and 2 hot)
1 sweet pepper diced
1 onion diced
1 28 oz jar spaghetti sauce
15-16 oz container ricotta cheese
1-2 tbsp italian seasoning
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
olive oil

Remove casings from sausage throughly cook through. Remove sausage to drain on paper towels. Add in veggies and saute until soft. Add sausage back in then add in spaghetti sauce. Heat through.

Combine cheeses and seasonings. Mix until well combined.

Place some sausage filling on dough (about 1-2 tbsp, again depending the size) then place some cheese mixture on top. Fold dough over and press to seal. Press down with forks around seam. Brush tops with olive oil.

Place in 350 degree oven for 20-25 mins until lightly browned.

**This was a HUGE hit with the boys! They both polished off their mini calzones. They were so good that K asked for them again, this filling does make a lot! So I had some leftover that is why I had different amounts on each night. The second night Q ate ALL of his and his brothers, so he must really like it! I'm not usually a fan of ricotta cheese, but these were delicious. Its a good thing we have lots of leftovers! The second night I also mixed the ricotta mix into the sauce and we liked that even better!

1 comment:

  1. My kids have been asking me to make calzones...I'll have to try this one! It sounds good and I love using my bread machine.

    ReplyDelete