Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup

I've never actually had or made a tortilla soup before, but I do see the recipes. I had some leftover chicken and it was a cool cold, rainy day. I remembered I had this recipe in my Tasty Tuesday and had almost all the ingredients. I had to run to the store to get the last two, but it was very worth the trip!

Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup-shared from Mennonite Girls Can Cook
2 cups chopped, cooked chicken(or 1 lb raw chicken breast)
1/2 cup of your favorite salsa
1-2 cups black beans(or one 1-2 cans, rinsed, drained)
1.5 cups cream of chicken soup(or 1 can)
1-2 cups chicken broth*
1 pkg frozen corn
1 can diced tomatoes with jalepenos
4 corn tortillas cut in strips

Place all ingredients in slow cooker except tortillas, turn on and cook on low for 5 hours or high for 2. About 15 mins before serving, stir in tortillas. Garnish with sour cream, cheese, cilantro, etc.

*The original recipe called for 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, I only had enough for one can. So I added in enough broth to make it soupier.

**This was so good and easy to make! It had just the right amount of kick to it. Q loved it, but he loves beans, corn, and chicken. This is definitely a keeper! The tortillas do act like noodles in the soup and it had a great texture.

For more great soup and stew ideas check out Finding Joy in my Kitchen's 2010 Soup Round Up!

1 comment: