Thursday, February 10, 2011

BBQ Chicken Pizza Soup

This wasn't on the original list of food to make this week...but after my whole chicken didn't thaw in time for dinner sat, I bought some other chicken and then had quite a bit of chicken and broth to use up. I was planning on making it for my inlaws for dinner, but then those plans changed. I was thinking of also sharing it with a friend, but I'm not sure it will last that long as it was really good! I also had poor planning in that I had nothing here ready for lunch today, so its now lunch and dinner!

I did add 6 cups of chicken broth instead of the 1.5 cups the recipe called for. I had that much broth and I figured this would stretch it further!

BBQ Chicken Pizza Soup-adapted from Picky Palate
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 sweet pepper, diced
1 tsp olive oil
1 bag frozen corn
1-2 cups chopped cooked chicken
salt and pepper to taste
1/4-1/2 cup bbq sauce
1/2 cup barley(optional)

Heat oil in pan, add in onions and peppers and cook for about 5 mins. Add in chicken, corn, broth and barley. Bring to a boil and simmer until barley is tender. Season to taste. Add in bbq sauce and cook until heated through.

**I added the barley as I felt something was missing. You could also add in some rice. My son just happened to have pulled out the barley to make a project with so I just tossed in the rest into the soup. The soup was absolutely delicious and one I will make a again. It was a great take on a chicken soup! The barley really added to the soup, at least we thought so! K really enjoyed it! This was after the barley cooked all the way through(I got sick of waiting and ate it before it was completely done) So it's a little less "soupy".

1 comment:

  1. Looks delish! I have all the ingredients to make it. Looks like the perfect snow day dinner!!

    ReplyDelete