Friday, February 25, 2011

Cheesy Sweet Potato Corn Chowder

This has been on our to try list for a bit and even made it to my menu plan for 2-3 weeks! I finally got around to making it this week. So glad I did!

Cheesy Sweet Potato Corn Chowder-adapted from Vanilla Sugar
2-3 sweet potatoes, cubed
2 cans of creamed corn
1 cup broth
1 1/2 cups milk
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1-2 tbsp bouillon powder(omitted)
1-2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Peel and cut up sweet potatoes. Place on cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast until nice and crispy about 30-45 mins.

Place cream cheese, chicken broth, milk, bouillon, and corn in stock pot. Heat until warmed through.(I did have to whisk in the cream cheese.) Once potatoes are done add to the soup. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper. Add in cheese and stir until melted.


**This got RAVE reviews from K...he told me it was the best vegetarian meal he's ever had! It doesn't make a lot so if I made it again I'd double it. I did not have any bouillon, which the original recipe says it makes the soup, but we thought it was tasty even without it! I love the crunchy outside of the potatoes with the tender insides, but it wasn't overly cheesy. Vanilla Sugar also said it was thick and rich, but I used low fat milk and cream cheese and while it was pretty creamy it wasn't overly thick and rich. It was PERFECT for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment