Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Maple Walnut Muffins

I had some walnuts leftover from Christmas baking so I decided I needed to use them up. What a great way to use them but in a muffin! YUM!

I did cut the sugar back in this recipe as it seemed like quite a bit of sugar especially with the maple syrup as well!

Maple Walnut Muffins-adapted from $5 Dinners
1 1/2 cups walnuts
2 cups flour(I think I used half ww, half ap)
2/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk(or milk)
3 eggs lightly beaten
4 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
2/3-3/4 cup maple syrup

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare muffin tins by either spraying them with oil or lining them with paper liners.

In a food processor(or blender) Combine 3/4 cup of walnuts and 1/2 cup flour and blend until nuts are finely chopped. Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Add in nut flour. Make a well in the center and add in eggs, buttermilk, syrup, and applesauce. Stir for about 1 min or until smoothish, but will still be lumpy. Chop remaining walnuts and stir into batter. Divide batter into muffin tins(I had 21 muffins)

Bake for 15-18 mins or until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.

**These were really tasty and I'm glad I cut back on the sugar! I have found that the maple flavor is more prominent a day or two after making them. K loved them and requested them again for lunch today!

No comments:

Post a Comment