Friday, April 8, 2011

Chicken Tikka Masala

On our quest to try new cuisine this was another one on my list. Once I found Garam Masala that I could afford that is! Luckily a friend also shared some of hers as I didn't buy enough at the store!

Chicken Tikka Masala-shared from Recipe Shoebox
3 chicken breast
salt
ground coriander
cumin
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 tbsp salt
2 tbsp butter
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 inch piece ginger, microplaned
3 tbsp Garam Masala
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes OR crushed tomatoes(I used crushed)
1 tbsp sugar
chopped serrano or Jalepeno pepper(to taste)
Rice:
4 tbsp butter
2 cups basmati rice
1 tbsp tumeric
4 cups water
1 tsp salt
1 pkg frozen peas

Saute rice in butter until browned. Add in water, tumeric, and salt and cook as directed.(I used brown basmati so I think it took about 45 mins). When rice is done stir in the peas.

Season chicken with salt, coriander, and cumin. Dredge in yogurt. Grill until chicken is charred and cooked through. OR Cook under broiler for 5-7 mins per side. Remove from pan and chop into 1 inch cubes.

Melt butter in large pan add in onion and saute until slightly browned. Add in garlic and ginger, then add in 1 tbsp salt and 3 tbsp garam masala and if desired chopped Serrano pepper(I used a few slices of chopped jalepeno).

Next add in tomatoes and sugar. Stir and simmer for about 5 mins. Stir in the cream and chicken. Simmer for 1-2 mins. Serve tikka over the rice and with Naan Bread.

**I really loved this dish! The chicken was moist and delicious and the sauce was very flavorful..but next time ill use less jalapeƱos it was a bit spicy!

No comments:

Post a Comment