Saturday, April 23, 2011

Wheat Buttermilk Bread

A few weeks ago, a friend at church shared a loaf of bread with us. It was AMAZING and I need to get that recipe, but then I saw this recipe on one of my favorite blogs and it looked very similar to what we had. I knew I had to try it until I could get my hands on the other one!

Wheat Buttermilk Bread-shared from Finding Joy in My Kitchen
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 tbsp butter, softened
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup dry milk
3 cups flour(I used 2 cups wheat, 1 cup white)
4 tsp vital wheat gluten
2 1/4 tsp yeast

Place ingredients in bread maker according to manufacturer's directions. Press dough setting and allow to work through cycle. Check dough to make sure its the right consistency, I added more flour to mine as it was really wet.

One dough is done, shape into a loaf shape. Place into a greased loaf pan, cover, and let rise for 1 hr. Bake at 325 for 30-40 mins until bread is lightly browned and sounds hollow. Remove from pan and allow to cool almost completely before slicing.

**I wasn't so sure that this would rise well because the first rise didn't look like it usually does, but after the second rise it looked fine, not as high as the original did. It tastes delicious and I love the texture of the bread, its nice and soft. It made EXCELLENT grilled cheese!

1 comment: