Thursday, April 7, 2011

Sweet Potato Soup with Cheddar and Chives

I picked up one of Robin Miller's Cookbooks at the library last week...and shortly after I had quite a few recipes marked off, which my mom made fun of me for! BUT I did have 3 recipes on the menu last week...but I only made one of them after K informed me he didn't want anything spicy. I made this soup on Friday and I wasn't sure about the flavors, but it did WORK! K really enjoyed it and he usually isn't a fan of pureed soups.

I did leave the leeks out because I forgot to pick them up, so I'm sure that would had a bit more bulk to the meal. K also suggested maybe some caramelized onions for next time...not 10 mins before dinner!

Sweet Potato Soup with Cheddar and Chives-Robin Miller's Robin to the Rescue cookbook
2-3 sweet potatos, peeled and cubed
2 leeks (white part only) chopped and rinsed well(omitted)
1 qt vegetable broth
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp sugar
1 can evaporated milk
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup shredded cheese(cheddar, italian blend, smoked)
chives
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil

Place sweet potatoes in pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook until fork tender. Drain and set aside.

Place olive oil in large skillet and heat up. Add in leeks, garlic, and sugar, cook until leeks soften, about 5 mins. Add potatoes and broth and bring to a boil, simmer for 5 mins. Using an immersion blender or a reg. blender puree soup. Add back to the pan and stir in evap. milk. heat through. Serve up soup and garnish with cheese and chives.(I did use dried chives)

**We mixed out cheese into the soup and surprisingly it tasted REALLY good! K used an Italian blend cheese on leftovers and he said that was EVEN better than the cheddar. The recipe did call for smoked cheese(or cheddar) but I wasn't going to pay that much for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment