Thursday, April 14, 2011

Pasta with Chicken Sausage, Peppers, and Kale

I found some natural chicken sausages marked down at the store one day. They were provolone and wine flavored thought they sounded interesting, but once I got home I wasn't sure what to do with them! Then I found this recipe and thought it sounded perfect for them. You can use any kind of sausage of course! I also replaced the escarole with Kale, I never had it before, but I knew I liked Kale.

Pasta with Chicken Sausage, Peppers, and Kale-adapted from Gina's Skinny Recipes
1 lb chicken sausage
3 sweet peppers, sliced
1 onion, sliced
3-5 garlic cloves, minced
1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped
1 lb pasta
crushed red pepper flakes to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Cook pasta according to package directions. Cook sausage until no longer pink. Remove from pan and set aside. In hot pan, add in peppers, onion, and garlic. Cook for about 5 mins until tender. Add in kale and cover for about 3 mins, stir and continue cooking for another 3 mins until kale is wilted. Drain pasta and reserve 1 cup pasta cooking water.

Mix together veggies, pasta, and sausage. Add in crushed red pepper, salt, pepper, and water. Stir to combine. Serve with parmesan cheese sprinkled on top!

**This was tasty and different. The sausage had a unique flavor to it, not sure if will be something I purchase again, but it was still tasty! I loved all the veggies that are in it, of course I had added more! This could easily be adapted to vegetarian. It was an easy dish to prepare and perfect for a light meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment