Thursday, May 6, 2010

Egg Biscuit Cups

These have been on my list to make for a while...I always seem to overshoot my menu and somethings just have to wait. I finally got to make them...and I messed up the recipe! I really should just try to do one thing at a time instead of 3. They still worked though.

Egg Biscuit Cups-adapted from A Foodie Fairytale
Dough:
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, beaten

Mix together dry ingredeints. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in milk and egg until soft dough forms. Kneed a couple times and let rest for a few minutes.

Filling:
6-8 eggs
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
1 lb bacon or sausage(I actually used red pepper, onion, and garlic, sauted)

Whisk together eggs and milk. Stir in cream cheese. Add in other ingredients.

Press dough into muffin cups(you will need 2 dozen) that have been WELL GREASED! Bake in 400 degree oven for 3 mins. Remove cups and fill with filling. Place back into oven and cook for 12-15 mins until eggs are set.

**My dough did rise in the cups, so they didn't leave much room for the filling, but I made do. It could have been because I added the milk and egg before I got the butter cut in. I ended up melting the butter and adding it to the dough. They stuck. I mean REALLY stuck to my reg. muffin pan that yes I did grease(even though I was thinking I shouldn't have to with a stick of butter in them). These were just ok to me...I'm sure the bacon/sausage would have added a bunch more flavor, but the sausage I had cooked up I decided I didn't like, so vegetarian it became! I do know that Amy, who I borrowed the recipe from really liked them!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry they didn't turn out well for you. I didn't have any problems with mine sticking and I just greased my muffin tins like I usually do (mine were also the regular, not the non-stick pans). My dough didn't rise either...it was flaky and pastry-like. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete