Friday, May 28, 2010

Homemade Strawberry Jam

So in preparation for cooking day and needing my freezer, I have been on a mission to clean it out. That meant I had to do something with 2 qts of strawberries. I also had on the menu pb and j waffles and I need jam for that! I also happen to have a box of pectin hanging out waiting to be used. Plus what is better than homemade jam and its EASY!

Homemade Strawberry Jam- from the SureJell box
1 pkg fruit pectin(I used surejell)
2 pints strawberries(2 cups crushed)
4 cups sugar
3/4 cup water

Wash, dry, and destem berries. Lightly crush with potato masher.(I did use frozen berries, I let them thaw and then crushed them). Mix berries with sugar and set aside for 10 mins. Stir occasionally.

Mix pectin and water together in a small sauce pan. Stir constantly while it comes to a boil and boil for 1 min. Remove from heat and add to strawberries. Mix for about 3 mins until sugar is dissolved, some crystals may still be around. Pour into containers within 1/8 in from the top, cover. Let cool for 24 hours. Store in freezer for up to 1 yr or in the fridge for 3 weeks.

**So far it has set up nicely...and I'm sure it tastes great, I'll let you know after breakfast tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment