Sunday, May 9, 2010

Homemade Graham Crackers

I have had this recipe I think for MONTHS and have been meaning to make them for a while. So I finally got to it yesterday. I can't recall where the recipe came from though.

Homemade Graham Crackers
3/4 cup whole wheat flour or graham flour
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup butter(or shortening),cold and cut into small pieces
3 tbsp water
1/4 cup honey, warmed

Combine dry ingredients, cut in butter. Stir in honey and water. Blend well. Roll out dough onto cookie sheet until its 1/4" thick. Prick with fork.  Repeat with remaining dough. Place in 375 degree oven for 8-10 mins until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cut into squares.

**These came out delicious and were very simple to make. They are not dry like a store bought cracker, they reminded me of a hermit cookie. I did not alter the recipe at all as I have never made an attempt at these before, but next time I'll try to use more whole wheat flour.

I was successful in making graham cracker crumbs!

6 comments:

  1. You and I are on the same wavelength. I've been keeping a graham cracker recipe in my arsenol for a while now, sitting on it, waiting to try it out. And here you go and do it. =D

    Did you use whole wheat flour or graham flour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I used whole wheat flour. Perhaps the graham flour would give it more of a "graham" taste. they still tasted good and my youngest devoured them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is quite different from the recipe I have that I have yet to try. I may have to do both and see which ones we like better. CJ is a graham cracker fanatic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look good Heather! I've made them before with graham flour - they were good but not great. I'm blaming the recipe I used LOL! I'm bookmarking this one - it sounds a lot tastier than the one I used :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's a "hermit cookie"???? lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh those look delicious! :) Thanks for participating in Food Revolution Fridays. So nice to have you drop by!

    I'd love to try these.

    ReplyDelete