Saturday, May 22, 2010

Homemade Bolognese Sauce

Well I learned a hard lesson yesterday as to why its not always a good thing to have ALL your recipes on line! I was planning to make oreos and start dinner and had NO INTERNET!! I decided to wing making dinner and only left out 2 ingredients, one I didn't even have on hand. Thankfully the internet decided to return. So it never fails to have some kind of adventure in the kitchen, K told me to make something else, but I had been thinking about this recipe all week. I also had just started the dishwasher and needed the shredder that was inside, so the carrots got chopped instead of grated.

Homemade Bolognese Sauce-shared from The Pioneer Woman
1/2 cup olive oil( I did not use this much)
1 1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 large red onion, chopped(I used white)
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1-2 lbs ground beef
2 tbsp dried oregano
2 tbsp dried basil leaves
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1-2 cups red wine
1 cup milk
2 28 oz cans of whole tomatoes

Heat oil in a large dutch oven or skillet. Add in carrots and onions and cook for a few minutes. Make a well in the center of the mixture and add in the ground beef. Cook for a few minutes until browned gradually working into the carrot mixture.

Throw in basil and oregano. Once combined with meat and veggies make another well for tomato paste. Let it heat through, add garlic and stir to combine.

Make another well and pour in wine. Stir to combine. Add Worcestershire and stir. Add in tomatoes and milk. Stir. Let simmer for 30 mins-2 hours. Serve over pasta(of your choice) and grated paremsan cheese.



**I did not have any tomato paste so this was a bit thinner than what it should have been. For some amazing pictures of the process make sure to check out Pioneer Woman...I'm not that talented in the picture making department. I am not sure that I have ever had a bolognese suace(we are tomato sauce people from a jar! I know the shame...) but this was really good for my first attempt. I did add some salt to the mixture as I felt it was needed and yes I burnt my tongue on it because I could not WAIT long enough for it to cool to try it. I may cut down the wine next time to 1 cup. We had the discussion of it reminding us of high school cafeteria food, but K reminded me that it was WAY better than that! It will definitely be made again. It does make quite a bit of sauce. It did thicken up after simmering on the stove for 2.5 hours!



No comments:

Post a Comment