Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Homemade Enchilada Sauce

I needed some enchilada sauce for dinner this week. Normally, I just buy a can, but I happen to have found a recipe for homemade sauce. It seemed pretty easy to make and did not have complicated ingredients. Although, I was trying to do to many things at one time, so I of course messed up the recipe. I don't think it hurt the recipe any, but always make sure to read the recipe through and know what you are supposed to do before you do it!

Homemade Enchilada Sauce-shared from Cottage Sisters
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 jalepeno, diced(or 1 4 oz can diced green chilies)
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp sugar
1 6 oz can tomato paste
2 tbsp garlic salt(I used garlic powder)
1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup water
3 cups broth(I used veggie)

Place onion and pepper into food processor and run until minced. Place oil and pepper/onion mix into pan and cook until softened about 5 mins. Add in paste, flour, chili powder, garlic, sugar, 1 tbsp garlic powder, cumin. Cook until completely mixed together. Add in water and broth. (The original recipe says that it will be thick at this point, so bring to a boil and let simmer for 5-8 mins until thinned out).I on the other hand, add liquids in with the paste/spices, so I had a very thin "broth". So I let it simmer for 20 mins until it thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside to cool.

**So far it smells amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment