Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Rootbeer BBQ Beef

This is another recipe from Hallee. I had made it before using pork and it works well, but I did want to try it with beef. I don't know my cuts of beef well AT ALL as we very rarely eat it and when we do its either ground or in steak form. I asked Hallee what I should use and she said anything was fine. I ended up buying a 6 lb round roast(or something like that). It was really the cheapest per lb that I could find. It worked out well because it cooks for a long time!

I made this for a get together at my inlaws house, they are really liked it. Even my mom liked it, even though she didn't think she would.

Root beer BBQ Beef
4-6 lb beef roast
1 12 oz can organic root beer
1-2 bottles of your favorite bbq sauce(or homemade)
Honey Wheat Rolls


Brown meat in skillet until all sides are done. Place in slow cooker. Place 2 tbsp of root beer in pan and scrape up the tiny bits from the browning. Dump into slow cooker.  Add in the rest of the root beer. Cover roast with sauce, turn slow cooker on low and cook for 8-10 hours. *I had a LOT of liquid when mine was done, so I dumped it out and shredded the meat. I then added more bbq sauce, another half a can of rootbeer and mixed it all in. Then I set it on low until warmed through.

Serve on rolls with more sauce if you wish.

**I did add some ketchup to my bbq sauce as it had a bit of a kick and knowing who I was serving it too, I was trying to cut it back. It worked out great! I had enough for a small army, this fed 7 adults, plus I sent some home with his brothers and we still have enough for at least 1 or 2 more dinners! Sorry it is not the best picture, but it still tasty!

This has been linked to Finding Joy in my Kitchen

3 comments:

  1. sounds interesting... may have to try this one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I just saw rootbeer BBQ sauce for the first time. I wouldn't have thought to pair the two. I like your version better to use rootbeer separate from the bbq for more flavor. Sounds good, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm going to try this with Dr Pepper since I abhor Root Beer. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete