Sunday, March 13, 2011

Homemade Chocolate Syrup

My boys LOVE chocolate milk and I had been buying Nesquik for a while because it was the only one on the market without hfcs in it. But its just expensive and they go through it FAST! I tried a chocolate syrup once before, but it was much thicker like Hot Fudge. I came across this recipe and wanted to give it a try as K has been wanting chocolate milk! The boys haven't realized its been gone...they are happy with cinnamon sugar milk, I much prefer chocolate!

The original recipe calls for Sucanat...but I couldn't find that at my store. I thought what I bought was similar but its actually not. Sucanat is actually a raw form of brown sugar, I ended up with just a raw form of sugar(Demerara). So after figuring that I could sub one for the other, I did add in a little molasses as I didn't want to offset the taste.

Homemade Chocolate Syrup-shared from Heavenly Homemakers
1 cup sucanat OR Demerara sugar(+ about 1 tsp molasses)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
dash of sea salt(I did use kosher)
1 cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine all the ingredients into a small sauce pan. Turn on heat and whisk until it starts to boil. Boil for one minute and shut off heat. Let cool for a few minutes then whisk in vanilla. Allow to cool and place in glass container for storage.

**I wasn't sure how this was going to work at first, it looked thick and from whisking it frothy. BUT by the time it boiled it smoothed and thinned out like purchased chocolate syrup. It is not as thick as the store bought, but it was really tasty and made some delicious chocolate milk, I just had to sample some!

No comments:

Post a Comment