Friday, March 4, 2011

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites

We had plans to meet up with friends today, but of course the weather discouraged us from doing it. So instead we made some pretzel bites.

We also had a science experiment, in the recipe it states to add the baking soda into the boiling water and guess what happens? EXPLOSION of water EVERY.WHERE. So when you add the baking soda please please please add in slowly.

*I apologize for the blurry picture...I have finally figure out what is wrong with the camera!

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites-adapted from Two Peas in Their Pod
1 1/2 cups warm water
6 tbsp butter, melted
2 tbsp light brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 1/4 tsp yeast
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups ap flour(up to another half cup)

Other ingredients:
3/4 cup baking soda
1 egg, beaten+1 tbsp water
kosher salt
cinnamon and sugar(optional)

Place ingredients in bread machine according to manufacturer's directions. Set to dough and let the cycle run through. Check the dough to make sure its not to wet or sticky, if it is add in more flour.

Once dough is done, remove from pan.

Preheat oven to 425 and place a large pot of water on stove and bring to a boil.

Divide dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll into long ropes. Cut into pieces.

Once water is boiling, SLOWLY add in 3/4 cup baking soda.

Place about 15 pieces of dough into boiling water and boil for 30 secs. Remove with a slotted spoon onto a cookie sheet. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with salt or cinnamon and sugar and place in the oven. Bake for 10-15 mins until golden brown.

**A requested cinnamon and sugar ones, so I'll be melting some butter and rolling them in cinnamon and sugar. I didn't see on the original recipe where they said to do that after the egg wash. That would have been easier! Good thing I thought of it after!

These were soft on the inside and chewy on the outside. My first batch I think I cooked a little too long, but they still tasted wonderful! The boys had fun rolling the dough out.

2 comments:

  1. I love soft pretzels! I desperatley want to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fun! I may try them this weekend!

    ReplyDelete