Saturday, March 12, 2011

Turkey Salisbury Steak and Cheesy Spinach Orzo

I really do love my Salisbury steak recipe, but I thought this sounded like a tasty twist on a classic meal. I can't say that it is "healthier" because I used the 93% lean ground turkey, but if you use all white meat it would be that much healthier.

Turkey Salisbury Steak-shared from Apples to Zucchini
1 lb(or 20 oz) ground turkey or chicken
1 tbsp ground flax seeds
3 tbsp water
1 onion, diced
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 red bell pepper, minced(omitted)
3/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 tbsp dried basil
salt and pepper to taste

Gravy:(this is a half recipe, still made more than I needed)
2 cups chicken broth
2 tbsp cornstarch
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If using ground chicken breast, make sure to grease the pan or line it with parchment paper.

Mix together the water and flax seed and set aside to get thick...I missed this step and I'm not sure what its actually supposed to do, so you don't have to.

Mix all the ingredients together until fully mixed in. Form into thin patties and place in a 9x13 pan or a jelly roll type pan.(I got about 6-7 patties out of the 20 oz of meat). Bake for 20-30 mins until golden brown and firm.

While the patties are cooking, place ingredient for gravy in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and allow it to thicken. Pour over patties.

**I really liked these, almost better than the beef version! The gravy on its own wasn't anything to write home about, but with the patties it worked very well! They were very flavorful and pretty quick to make!
Cheesy Spinach Orzo-How Sweet It Is
This was originally a 3 cheese orzo, but I only used 2! It was pretty simple to make and really tasty!

1 cup orzo
1-2 tsp olive oil
1 bag baby spinach
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
1/3 cup cheddar cheese(I used extra sharp)

Boil water and cook orzo according to the package directions.

Place oil oil in large frying pan and heat up. Add in onion and saute until onion is soft about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and spinach, cook until spinach wilts.(I did place a lid on this to help speed it up.) Drain pasta and add to spinach and onion. Stir in cheese until its melted.

**This was really good and its just about the only way K will eat spinach...it can't be plain spinach, at least cooked! He will do a spinach salad, and that has to be baby spinach! The boys looked at me like I had 6 heads but perhaps maybe someday they will try it! You couldn't even taste the spinach because the cheese was very flavorful!

Featured on:

3 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks really good! I so wish my family would eat spinach! I'd be alone eating this, but that's okay! Love the flax seeds in the steak too! I'm hosting presto pasta nights this week if you want to submit this. Details are on my blog and I'd love to include it in the round up on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good! Flax seed mixed with water is an egg substitute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That orzo sounds delicious! I love orzo...for some reason it's so much more fun than pasta!

    ReplyDelete