Thursday, March 3, 2011

South African World Cup Curry

My friend Kim, posted this recipe on her blog. She stated it was the BEST curry she has ever had, so I had to give it a try!

I won't lie, it was a bit time consuming and seemed like there were a lot of steps involved along with a lot of pots! Not quite busy mom approved...well at least with a 4 and almost 2 year old! (Kim won't like this part, but next time I will put it all into my slow cooker!)

I did use a little less meat than what it called for, but that's all I had on hand, it still made a ton of curry!

South African World Cup Curry-shared from Mac's Kitchen Adventure
3 lbs meat(I acutally used 1 lb flank steak, 2 cups chopped cooked chicken)
3 tbsp curry powder
1 onion, chopped
3 cans diced tomatoes
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup chicken broth
1 granny smith apple, chopped
3 tbsp lime juice
2 inch piece, ginger, peeled
3 tbsp chutney
2 tbsp apricot preserves
2 jalapeƱos, chopped(with or without seeds, depends on your spice tolerance)
3 cloves of garlic
2 bay leaves
1 cup seedless golden raisins

*These are the directions adapted to the slow cooker, if you want to do it the way Kim and I did it, just follow the link above!

Cover meat with curry powder. Let sit, while you heat up your pan. Brown meat and place in your slow cooker. Add in tomatoes, coconut, broth, onions, and apples.

In a food processor or blender, combine lime juice, chutney, preserves, jalapeƱos, ginger, and garlic. Mix until pureed well. Add into slow cooker. Add in bay leaves and raisins and stir well. Turn slow cooker on low for 4-5 hours until meat is tender.

Serve over brown rice.

**The first night I was told that it was too spicy...but I thought it was fine. It was a little, but not that bad.  The second day the spiciness wasn't as prominent. This is a very flavorful dish and delicious! Thanks for sharing Kim!

No comments:

Post a Comment