Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Oatmeal Fruit Bars

I had some fruit that was in dire need of being used...after seeing this recipe I thought it would be perfect!

I used about 1 qt strawberries and maybe 1 cup of frozen blueberries for the sauce. The original maker used raspberries(and she even put in some dark chocolate chips) so any fruit will do!

Oatmeal Fruit Bars-adapted from Finding Joy in my Kitchen
1 cup wheat flour
1 cup oatmeal
2/3 cup brown sugar(but i do think i used less)
1/4 tsp baking soda
3 tbsp butter,softened or melted
1/4 cup applesauce

Filling:(fruit of your choice)
1 qt strawberries, hulled, chopped
1-2 cups bluberries
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch

Place filling in saucepan and turn on heat. Mix together and stir often until fruit softens and starts to get bubbly. I did mash my fruit towards the end, to get a nice thick sauce.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix together oatmeal, flour, and baking soda. Take 1/3 of the mixture and put in another bowl add in the butter, until crumbly. With the other 2/3's of the mix add in the applesauce. Press the mixture into an 11x7 inch pan. Top with fruit, and add the last of the mixture(the one with the butter) sprinkled over the top. Bake for 20-25 mins until top is golden brown.

**These were very good and i loved the fruit layer! Its a bit similar to a nurtigrain bar but with more texture! The only problem I have with them was they were so thin, it could have been my pan, but I used a smaller pan than an 9x13, more like a bar pan. So next time I'll double the oatmeal mixture or use and 8x8 pan!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed them!! I make mine in an 11x7 pan, so I can see how a 9x13 would have been too thin. Hope you enjoy making them again and again :)

    ReplyDelete