Friday, March 11, 2011

Things we've tried....

and were just ok or needed some tweaking!

Steak and Cheese Eggrolls
This idea came from one of the new Rachael Ray magazines . I read that it was a wonderful appetizer at one of the restaurants she was featuring. I tried my hand at them. It's not really a recipe more a techique. But it needs some tweaking because most if not all the cheese landed on the outside of the egg roll. The second time I tried them, I folded them different and put the cheese in a different spot it helped but only a little. The article said that it lays a piece of cheese between 2 layers of egg rolls and theirs is probably fried where mind is baked!

Egg roll wrappers
cooked peppers and onions
sliced american cheese
Sliced/cubed roast beef(I had the deli cut me a thick slab and I sliced that)
water

Preheat oven to 350. Lay egg roll wrappers on cookie sheet. Place cheese, peppers/onions, and meat on wrapper. Dot edges with water and fold into triangles. Continue until desired amount is reached or all ingredients are used up. Bake for about 20 mins until edges are crisp and golden brown.

Cake Batter Pancakes-How Sweet It Is
This recipe we tried...but we weren't impressed. They didn't have a strong cake batter flavor...so next time I think we might just trying making it with the WHOLE mix, but instead of making a cake, make pancakes. This could have depended on the brand of cake mix I used, but I'm not sure about that either. The BOYS loved them, they just didnt' have the flavor I was looking for, but the "syrup" was REALLY good!

Hawaiian Sweet Rolls-From Apples to Zucchini
I love the Hawaiian rolls that you can get at the store, so when I saw these I wanted to try them. I LOVED the texture of these rolls...BUT I wasn't to fond of the vanilla flavor. Mine was really strong and afterwards I realized that my vanilla was REALLY strong so I should have only used half of what the recipe called for. So I hope to try them again...but with half the vanilla or none!

Chocolate Bread-shared from Artisian Bread in 5 Minutes a Day
We frequent a bakery in York, ME when on vacation. I LOVE their chocolate bread, so I was excited to find this. BUT it didn't come out well...the recipe did, but I used some very dark chocolate so its quite bitter. I want to try it again, but with different chocolate so hopefully then I'll like it. I plan to use the bread I did make, to try some chocolate bread pudding in hopes that maybe I can save the bread!(I didn't end up saving it...I just tossed it, hope to try it again!)

Dijon Roasted Potatoes and Broccoli-shared from Cooking During Stolen Moments


I used regular broccoli instead of broccolini...the broccoli I really liked(besides over salting it, OOPS!) but the potatoes to me were just ok...they didn't seem to have much flavor. Even K who doesn't like broccoli liked it especially because it wasn't plain!




Chipotle Lime Chicken Scampi-Eat At Home
This one sounded great...but it seemed to have missed some flavor notes. I made it too spicy for one(I was having issues with finding just the sauce in my frozen chipotle mess and ended up with peppers twice, fished them out both times) but there seemed to be something missing...it tasted watery and just not flavorful, but spicy! Maybe its because I had high hopes for it, not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment