Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Oatmeal Bars

I'm always looking for new breakfast or snack ideas. I'd love to find something that might be similar to a chewy granola bar...and I think this did it! The great thing about this recipe is that its very flexible. You can add or different kinds of add ins you would like!

Just excuse the picture quality...little fingers found my camera and played with the settings!

Oatmeal Bars-shared from At Home with Haley
3 cups old fashioned oats
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp orange juice or water(I used water)
1 tsp vanilla(which I think I forgot!)
1/3 cup oil
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup maple syrup or honey
Mix-ins of your choice:raisins, craisins, chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, nuts, m&m's etc(about 1/3 of a cup)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix together dry ingredients. Add in wet ingredients and mix well. Stir in mix-ins. Place in greased 9x13 inch pan or cookie sheet with lip and spread out. (The recipe didn't specify, so I used my small pampered chef pan) Bake for 12-15 mins until browned and firm.

**The ONLY complaint I had for these were that they were a bit thin...so next time I'll double the recipe and use a 9x13 inch pan. They were delicious! Crunchy on the outside, a bit chewy in the middle. They tasted like an oatmeal cookie to be, but in bar from and healthier for you! Next time I may try subbing applesauce. The original recipe said you can also use apple juice concentrate instead of the oil...something I've never tried, but may soon!

1 comment:

  1. one of my friends was telling me today that shes got a fabu no bake 'poop' cookie - oats rolled in peanut butter with chocolate chip chunks. i've got to get the recipe from her!

    ReplyDelete