Sunday, August 15, 2010

4 B's Pork Chops and Au Gratin Potatoes

This is another recipe I adapted from the Fix, Freeze, Feast cookbook.

4 B's Pork Chops
3/4 cup pale ale

1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp dijion mustard
1 tsp garlic, minced
1/4 tsp pepper


Place all ingredients in zip top bag and squish around to mix. Add in pork. Squeeze out air and seal. Freeze until ready to use!


**These were pretty good...but really all I could taste was the beer! 


Au Gratin Potatoes-shared from Hallee the Homemaker


I've just been waiting for a chance to try this recipe out! I love the ones that come in a box...but I really wanted to find a homemade recipe! K gets all the credit for slicing the potatoes! He did a great job!(I told him I'd give him credit!) He decided they were worth the effort...and he loves my santoku knife!


6 medium potatoes, sliced as thin as you can
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
3 green onions with tops,sliced
2 1/4 cups milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
3/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2-2 cups shredded cheese


Place butter in skillet and let melt. Add in onions and cook for 5 mins or until onion is soft. Whisk in flour, salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir until smooth and bubbly. Add in milk and whisk constantly until thickened and is almost to a boil. Add in nutmeg, stir. Fold in cheese and let melt, while stirring. Mix in with potatoes. Cover tightly with foil and cook in preheated oven for 45 mins. Remove foil and cook another 15 mins until potatoes are tender.(Mine ended up cooking for about 1 1/4-1 1/2 hours, this could have been from the thickness of the potatoes, you can only get them so thin with a knife! The sauce did thicken.)

**These were mighty tasty...almost too peppery for my liking but definitely good! YUM! I was even successful in making my first cheese sauce and it didn't SEPARATE! My aunt taught me well....

3 comments:

  1. Heather, those pork chops sound interesting. I think if you replaced the ale with a lager-style beer (and ask your liquor store clerk for a lager with a lighter flavor), and maybe replace the brown sugar with molasses, you might have a more appealing flavor. I would totally play with the flavors...maybe even try some Moosetard instead of dijon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have offically added this cookbook to my Amazon wishlist and wedding registry. Thanks for sharing all of the great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love homemade au gratin potatoes, yummy!! The pork chops sound good too. my hubby loves beer, I bet the heavy beer flavor would appeal to him. Thanks for the yum recipes!

    ReplyDelete