Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Veggie Loaded Nachos

I couldn't make up my mind with what I wanted on our menu this week tonight for dinner...so because I waited so long it was to late to take anything out of the freezer! Yesterday I purchased some tortilla chips as I wanted salsa and chips, I had some beans leftover and need to do something with them, and also half a zucchini...the other half rotted! I decided to make nachos, but vegetarian! The original recipe comes from Rachael Ray and I'll post a link to it, as it is quite tasty as well! Great way to hind some veggies!

Veggie Loaded Nachos-adapted from Rachael Ray
1 tsp olive oil
2-3 cups beans(I used white cannellini)
1 cup chopped carrots
2 tsp minced garlic
1 onion, diced
1 zucchini, shredded
1/2 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
1 bag frozen corn, thawed
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes, NOT drained
2 cups shredded cheese
tortilla chips

Saute onions and carrots over med heat in 1 tsp olive oil for about 5 mins. Add in garlic, zucchini, and beans. Sprinkle with spices and stir. Stir in corn. Cook until heated through. Turn broiler on. Lay chips on baking sheet and cover with "nacho" mix. Sprinkle with cheese. Place under broiler for about 5 mins until cheese is melted and slightly brown.

**These were very tasty! I was almost afraid that I'd miss the meat...well not so much me, but K. He really did like then and they are super healthy(although I suppose they could have been healthier if I used baked chips and they were whole grain ones, but you can't win them all!) YUM!

1 comment: