Monday, August 23, 2010

Mexican Coucous Dinner

I tried coucous once...and I didn't think I was a fan of it. But I found this recipe last week and it sounded wonderful so I am giving it another shot! For some reason I couldn't find any plain couscous at the grocery store, but I was at a bulk place today and they had it! (I then of course had to go find out how to cook it!)

Mexican Couscous Dinner-shared from The Sweets Life
2 cups coucous
2 1/2 cups water
1 tbsp olive oil
4 cups bean(calls for black, but I'll be using red)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped(omitted)
2 ears of corn, cooked and removed from cob
1 avocado, diced
1 tomato, diced

To cook couscous: Bring water to a boil, add in coucous, stir, and cover with dishcloth for 5 mins.

Place olive oil in pan over medium heat. Add garlic and spices saute for 1-2 mins. Pour in beans and cook until heated through. Add in cilantro, stir.

Place couscous in bowl, top with beans, corn, tomatoes, and avocado. Sprinkle with lime juice

**Ok something happened with the couscous...I did not have 2 cups of couscous more like 1 3/4 but it still worked out fine. I was afraid I had too much water, but perhaps because it was whole wheat it was fine? I'd do your own research or get a container/box with instructions on it!

This was pretty tasty...and QUITE filling! We both decided though that we aren't fans of avocado...its a texture thing! We took the leftovers and made it into a soup! YUM! sorry about the picture...its not the best!

*This has been linked to Finding Joy in my Kitchen

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather,
    This is a great combination. We would really enjoy this dish. Thank you for sharing and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete