Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

My friend Kim, who always shares THE BEST recipes posted this one on Facebook the other day...I knew I had just purchased some blueberries. She went on to make it and came back and told me to "run to my kitchen and not to walk, it was THAT good!" So I went and purchased the lemon and trekked on to make it...It was a bit more work, but it was very worth it!

Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake-shared from Mac's Kitchen Adventure
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/4 cup apple juice
1 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp lemon juice
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 stick butter, cold, cut up
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
zest of one lemon
3/4 cup low fat plain yogurt(i did use vanilla)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 lg eggs
6 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1 tsp lemon juice

Place blueberries and apple juice in pot on stove and heat until boiling, stirring. Let cook for 3 mins. Mix together 2 tsp lemon juice and corn starch. Add to blueberries and simmer for 1 min until thickened. Cool to room temperature.

Mix together flour and 3/4 cup sugar. Cut in butter until it resembles fine crumbs. Reserve a 1/2 cup and set aside. To the flour mix add in salt, baking soda, baking powder, and lemon zest. Stir to combine.

Combine yogurt, vanilla, and 1 egg, stir well and mix into flour mixture just until incorporated. Place in a well buttered 8 inch cake pan(or a spring form pan)

Beat together the remaining egg, cream cheese, and 1 tsp lemon juice on high until smooth. Spread on top of cake batter. Then top with blueberries staying about a half inch to an inch of the side.(I then took a knife and swirled it a bit.)

Take the remaining flour/butter/sugar and sprinkle over the top of the cake along the edges. Place in 350 degree oven for 30-40 mins or until center barely jiggles and cake top is golden brown.(Mine took closer to 40 mins, if not a bit longer, I lost track after a while)

**This did take a little extra work, but it was so delicious and totally worth it! I think it really took me longer because I was a bit scatter brained and doing more than one thing at a time today! I didn't even want to share it with the boys...but I was nice enough to save a couple slices for my brother in laws...hopefully they will get to try some as well! K must have forgotten it was here because he has yet to try it, but I know he will enjoy it!



Thanks for the recipe Kim!

For other great dessert recipes check out Finding Joy in My Kitchen

2 comments:

  1. You are so welcome! I'm just glad mine turned out with the alterations I had to make! Like I said before, I made two yesterday afternoon and it is MORE than half-gone already! I even put some in the kid's lunches for the first day of school tomorrow...BOY will they be thrilled!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious...and so pretty with the swirled blueberries!

    ReplyDelete