Saturday, August 28, 2010

Lentil Sloppy Joes(Casserole)

I've never cooked lentils before...heck I've never even eaten them before! I've seen this recipe on a couple of blogs and have had it on my menu for at least 2 weeks now. I finally got around to making them! While I was making them for my brother in laws, I decided to make it into sloppy Joe Casserole.

I kinda followed Debbi's suggestion but also looked at the original recipe. I found it still to be very vinergary/ketchupy so I added more brown sugar and bbq sauce. So season to your taste...although next time I might try my version of Sloppy Joes and just add in more water.

Lentil Sloppy Joes-shared from Debbi Does Dinner Healthy
1 onion, diced
1 red or green pepper, diced
2 stalks celery, sliced(omitted)
1/2 tsp oregano
1 cup lentils, rinsed
1 cup ketchup
1 1/2 cups water(may need more)
Bbq sauce to taste
1/4 cup red whine vinegar
2 tbsp brown sugar(more or less to taste)
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp black pepper

Saute onions and peppers for about 5 mins. Add in water, ketchup, bbq sauce, sugar, spices, and lentils. Stir and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 30 mins until lentils are done and hold their round shape(whatever that means!). Serve on whole wheat rolls.

**So for this being my first attempt at these....they took over 2 hours and at least another cup of water before I was satisfied with the texture of them. I have no idea how they are supposed to be, but after consulting with a couple friends they told me they don't cook as soft as beans and they tend to have a bite to them. I'm not sure if I did something wrong or not, but hopefully you won't have to wait that LONG!

The taste was pretty good too and not bad in the texture department. This has been approved by K. He did like them...other than the lentils being crunchy. For another way to make them check out Michelle's version over at All Home Cooking.All Year Long, I will be trying them this way next time!

*This has been linked to Finding Joy in My Kitchen

3 comments:

  1. I agree, they were quite ketchupy, even with my alterations. When I make them again, I will use my sloppy joe recipe sauce. Thanks for giving them a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like shepherd's pie.

    Lentils cook up softer than beans, but you can't add any salt to them before they're cooked, or they toughen up and are almost impossible to cook.

    Lentils are done cooking when they're soft. If they are crunchy, they're not done. I encourage you to try again with cooked lentils (and little or no added water after cooking).

    THey're a wonderful, nutritious, cheap food so keep at it. THe end result's worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to cook more with lentils. They are great and tasty (and cheap!!).

    ReplyDelete