Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Mozzarella Sticks and Rice Balls

These recipes come from the Deceptively Delicious book....I have adapted them a bit as I didn't have a couple of key ingredients, but I think it will still work.(I really just switched what purees I used!) So after making a mess once again with the rolling, dipping, and breading....dinner is waiting to be cooked!

Mozzarella Sticks-shared from Deceptively Delicious
1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs(I used panko)
1 tbsp flaxseed meal
1 tsp sesame seeds(optional)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup cauliflower puree
spray oil

Mix together breadcrumbs, flax meal, and sesame seeds. Set aside. Combine cornstarch, cheese, and puree. Mix together well. Shape into 2 inch logs and roll in breadcrumb mixture. Place on cookie sheet. Place in freezer for 20 mins and cook at 400 degrees for 15 mins until golden brown. *I did end up doubling this recipe.

**These were pretty good...but next time I will fry them instead, maybe. By the time they were done they looked more like "planks" than sticks. They reminded me of fried cauliflower with cheese. You could still taste the cauliflower although the author claims you can't. K got it right without knowing what it was.
Rice Balls-adapted from Deceptively Delicious
1 cup brown rice, cooked
1/2 cup sweet potato puree
1 cup white beans(or 1/4 cooked chicken)
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup shredded cheese
1/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup spinach or broccoli, or butternut puree(I used cauliflower)
1 1/2 cups whole wheat breadcrumbs(I actually used panko and flax meal)

Mix together cauliflower and egg. Set aside. Place breadcrumbs into shallow bowl or plate. In a blender or food processor, combine sw. potato puree, buttermilk, cheese, salt, and beans(or chicken). Puree until combined. Stir in rice. Shape into balls, roll in cauliflower and dip into breadcrumbs. Place on cookie sheet. Cook at 400 degrees for 20-30 mins until golden brown.

*I am not sure why, but my mixture was very wet...so after I dipped a few in the cauliflower, I decided I no longer needed it. So I just went straight to the breadcrumbs after making a ball. This could have been because of the beans. So just in case, I'd make the filling and see if you need the cauliflower/egg mix to coat it.

**These were just ok...you could still taste the sweet potato, which was fine. But they weren't something that I thought was the best thing I have ever tasted. The boys ate more of this than the mozz. sticks so I guess that was a win, but not sure they were worth the extra effort.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reviews! Kind of disappointing that the cauliflower had such a strong flavor, though. Oh well. These recipes piqued my interest, but I'm sure how Lily would react (she doesn't really like cheese sticks any way) so i was going to wait until Buzz got home anyway. I made the Tortilla Cigars for a friend today and they loved them. (I didn't use squash only the carrot) so I'm making them for us tomorrow night. :)

    ReplyDelete