Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Cream of ....Soup Take 2

I wanted to try out a Salisbury steak recipe that a friend on Facebook shared...but I needed 2 cans of mushroom soup, which we no longer consume. I knew I already had a recipe on here except it calls for butter and I am all out. So I quickly checked another recipe and found one without needing butter! YAY! I liked the way this one came together and it was much thicker and more "condensed" soup like. It was very simple as well!

This is my version of Cream of Mushroom, but the link will tell you how to do cream of chicken(or just leave out the mushrooms). You can also adapt it to make cream of celery or broccoli.

This makes approximately 2 cans worth of soup.

Cream of Mushroom Soup-adapted from Tammy's Recipes
1 container mushrooms, chopped fine(I used baby bellas)
1 tsp olive oil
2 tsp minced garlic
1 1/2 cups broth(I used veggie)
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
dash of paprika
dash of onion powder
3/4 cup flour

Place oil in pan over medium heat. Once hot, add in mushrooms and cook for 5 mins until soft. Add in broth, 1/2 cup milk, seasonings, and garlic. Bring to a boil. Whisk together rest of the milk and flour until smooth. Slowly add into broth mixture while whisking briskly until thick and smooth.

**This came together very quickly and thickened right up! It smells delicious too! It worked well in my recipe I just had to add some salt, but other than that it was excellent!

2 comments:

  1. Hey kitchen goddess! Just stopped by for a cup of hot creamy soup, a cold beer, and a wee favor...

    I've entered a contest to win a role on the retro-fabulous TV show "Mad Men" - but I need your vote to win!

    If you don't mind taking two seconds to vote for me, please go to my blog or use the link below, which takes you right to my photo page.

    http://madmencastingcall.amctv.com/browse/detail/EZ3MBH

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read your salsbury steak recipe and thought that the soup part did not look canned. I'm glad I browsed on because this looks and I'm sure is much more healthier than canned soup. I'm so excited to try this! Can it be frozen?

    ReplyDelete