Thursday, September 30, 2010

Apple Braised Chicken Breast

A friend on Facebook wrote she was making this for dinner...and in honor of having a billion apples I decided to try it! The original recipe did call for turkey thighs and I used bone in chicken breast, if I liked dark meat, I would probably go with that next time!

And speaking of facebook...did you know you can now find me there? check it out and become a fan...er like me!

Apple Braised Chicken Breast-shared from Food&Wine
1 tbsp olive oil
2 turkey thighs(I did use 4 chicken breast)
salt and pepper
2 large shallots, thinly sliced OR 1 small onion and 2 tsp minced garlic
4 apples, peeled, quartered, cored
2 cups apple cidek
2 cups of broth
2 tsp cider vinegar(optional)

Preheat oven to 350. In an oven proof pot, heat oil.Season both sides of the meat. Add in chicken/turkey skin side down into pot. Cook for about 8 mins until skin is golden and crisp. Remove meat from pan. Add in shallots or garlic/onion. Cook for about 5 mins or until tender.

Add in apples, meat, broth, and cider. Bring to a boil, cover and place in oven for 1.5 hours. Uncover and cook for 30 more minutes.

Remove meat from pan. Skim fat and add in vinegar. Slice meat and serve with apples and pan sauce.

**You can cook the apples for a bit before adding in the broth. I did not as I didn't want mush apples and they cooked fine. I think by using the breast it did dry out, I would highly recommend using a dark piece of meat. It did smell amazing!! K really enjoyed it and the flavors were great, just the meat seemed a bit dry to me. Although my friend did like it and she used the dark meat. The recipe does say it will taste better the next day, and it did! I used the leftover sauce/apples to make an apple cheddar soup, which will be posted soon! This can easily be finished off in the slow cooker!

1 comment:

  1. The flavor combo sounds delightful! Love the idea of using the broth in soup the next day, YUM!!

    ReplyDelete