Thursday, September 9, 2010

Tex Mex Chicken and Dumplings

I stumbled upon this recipe a few weeks ago when I discovered a new blog! I thought it sounded different and not your typical chicken and dumplings!

Tex Mex Chicken and Dumplings-shared from Let's Dish
8 cups chicken broth
chicken from one whole chicken(I actually only used about 3 cups), shredded
juice of 1 lime
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of whole roasted green chilis(6 oz can)
2 cloves of garlic, minced(which I forgot)
1/2 cup cream
cayene, salt, and pepper to taste

Dumplings:
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tbsp melted butter

Place tomatoes, green chilis, and garlic in blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add to chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add in chicken and lime juice. Stir until heated through. Season with spices and add in cream. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer.

Mix together dumpling ingredients. Drop by rounded tbsp into broth. Do NOT stir. Cover and let steam for 20 mins.

**I didn't take a picture of it...because it was NOT a pretty site. My dumpling batter was very runny and I wasn't sure why at first, but then I remembered I used 2 JUMBO eggs, next time I'll add in more flour or only 1 egg or use just large eggs!  I only got a couple that actually turned into dumplings the rest were kinda beady. If you look at the original recipe she has a picture and mine looked the same! I really did like the flavor of this dish, but I think it needed more than just chicken, broth, and dumplings. So perhaps next time I'll add in some corn or leave the tomatoes diced.

2 comments: