Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Spiced Apple Squash Soup

My mom recently had some dental sugery done and I wanted to make her some food that didn't require much chewing!  I was struggling a bit because I knew some of it would probably have to be frozen and what I was coming up with I wasn't sure it would freeze well. I also have an over abudance of apples right now and in my email popped up pillsbury's recipe news letter. This was in it and I deemed it perfect...to use up some apples and my mom actually likes butternut squash(I do not...). I will try it.

Spiced Apple Squash Soup-shared from Pillsbury
8 cups cubed, peeled, butternut squash(about 3 lbs)
2 large apples, chopped,peeled(about 3 cups)
1 onion diced
1 cup apple juice or cider
32 oz veggie or chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream

Place all ingredients into slow cooker except cream and parlsey. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Blend soup with immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender. Return to slow cooker and stir in cream.

*I of course didn't read the entire recipe to see that it was cooked in the slow cooker...I took it upon myself to make it a bit harder and roasted the apples and squash. Then I sauted the onion until soft and blended it together.

**I did actually try this and it was actually pretty good! I have about 8 cups in the freezer for my mom, I did not put in any cream. I really didn't think it needed it and figured it might thaw better without it! I saved a bowl for K, so he can try it as well. You can't really taste the butternut which is probably why I actually liked it! A wanted to try it and I told him it was apple soup because I knew if I said squash he wouldn't try it. He wasn't a fan...but that's ok!

No comments:

Post a Comment