Thursday, September 16, 2010

Chocolate Graham Crackers

I tried a regular graham cracker recipe once...and they were more like a soft cookie vs. a cracker. But then I stumbled upon this recipe for chocolate ones. It had a different method of cooking so I gave it a try! To make just a honey graham cracker, leave out the cocoa powder.

Chocolate Graham Crackers-Heavenly Homemakers
2 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4-1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
4 tbsp honey
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup water
1 tsp vanilla(which I did forget!)
1 stick of butter melted

Mix together flour, sugar, powder, soda, salt, cocoa powder, and cinnamon. Add in water, vanilla, honey, and butter. Still until well combined. Dough will be stiff.

Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place dough on paper. Place another piece of parchement paper on top and roll out.*Don't try to skip the second piece, I did and it clearly did not work. The dough is very stick and kept sticking to my rolling pin. Once rolled out, cut into 2 inch squares, I used my pizza cutter.
Place in 350 degree oven for 18 mins. Once cooked, shut oven off, but leave crackers inside to crisp up for 30 mins to 1 hr. Remove from the oven and break along lines.

**I wasn't sure how I felt about the honey/chocolate together as I tasted the dough and it seemed off, but once cooked and cooled you didn't even taste the honey! These were crispy just like a store bought cracker and mighty tasty! YUM! Now I'll never have to buy the store bought again! They were fairly easy to make too!

1 comment: