Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Curried Beef and Dumplings

I found this in the Taste of Home Recipe Collection...I can't remember if it was 2009 or 2010 but I thought it sounded different!

Curried Beef and Dumplings-shared from Taste of Home
1 3 lb rump roast
6 carrots cut into chunks, or baby carrots
1 onion sliced
1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt

Dumplings:
1 tsp salt
1 2/3 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp cold butter
3/4 cup milk

1 cup water(may need more)

Brown meat in pan, place in crock pot. Mix together tomaotes, curry, sauce, sugar, and salt. Pour over meat, add in onions and carrots. Cook on low for 6-8 hours until meat is tender.

Pour juice into pan, add in hot water and bring to a boil.

Mix together flour, salt, baking powder. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in milk until just moistened. Drop dumplings into simmering liquid, cover, and steam for 15 mins. Remove dumplings for sauce and serve with meat and carrots.

**So far this smells a lot like beef stew....it was just ok the first night we had it. I found it needed gravy as the meat was a bit dry. I did add another cup of water to the juices for the dumplings as I just didn't have enough to cook them in. I then took that thickened "gravy" and dumped it over the leftover meat. It was so much better the next day! It was a nice and different take on pot roast and I LOVE curry! The dumplings were delicious too!

No comments:

Post a Comment