Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Rolls

I always love trying out new roll/bread recipes! As long as I remember to use them immediately or to freeze them! I always have every intention of doing it, just sometimes I find some nice mold growing...and boy do I hate to throw food out!

There were 2 recipes for this found on The Taste Of Home website...one for white rolls and one for whole wheat. I opted not to do the whole wheat version because it needed self rising flour and was being lazy and not looking up on how to make my own. So I used the white version with whole wheat flour and wouldn't you know, its probably the same thing, as I'm pretty sure self-rising flour has the same leavening in it. So I'm not really sure why they needed basically the same recipe in twice.

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Rolls-shared from Taste Of Home
2 1/4 tsp yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 cups warm buttermilk(110-115 degrees)
1/2 cup canola oil
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 1/2 cups flour(I used 3 cups whole wheat, 1-11/2 of ap)

In a large bowl dissolve yeast in water. Beat in the buttermilk, oil, sugar,salt, baking soda, and 2 cups of flour until smooth. Stir in enough of the remaining flour until a soft dough forms.

Knead in stand mixer for 2-3 mins until smooth and elastic or by hand for 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.

Punch dough down. Divide into 18 pieces and roll into balls. *Mine were not very ball shapish...it was a soft dough and they kinda flattened a bit before they rose! Place on greased cookie sheet.(I did some on the cookie sheet and some in an 8 inch round cake pan). Cover and let rise for 30 mins until doubled.

Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 mins or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

**These were quite tasty! They are light and fluffy and they may just become my new go to recipe for hamburger/hot dog rolls. They had a harder outside but fluffy inside. The ones in cake pan probably could have cooked a bit longer but the tops were definitely done! The bottoms seemed a bit doughy, but were fine. Half did make it into the freezer and the boys loved them!

1 comment:

  1. Wow that looks so yummy! Glad to hear that you and yours enjoyed it. The picture alone looks like it would be a good thing.

    http://www.heismybeloved.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete